Water is critical for human life. Maintaining hydration is one of the most fundamental components of good health. However, many people find drinking water a chore. But the good news is that there are many other healthy ways to help you stay hydrated and make drinking water interesting.
Why is hydration important
There are many interesting facts about drinking water. Water is vital for many aspects of body functioning. About half our blood is “blood plasma”, which is over 90 percent water. Blood plasma is essential for carrying energy, nutrients and oxygen to the cells in the body that need it most. Additionally, water helps to remove waste products via the kidneys. It also helps keep joints lubricated, the digestive system functioning, the body’s temperature controlled and skin plump and strong. Lack of adequate hydration can lead to dehydration. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, tiredness, low concentration, constipation and a dry mouth. Being severely dehydrated increases the risk of kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
How much fluid do you need?
The amount of fluid we need changes as we age. It also changes from person to person, depending upon the individual metabolism. Although 2 litres of water a day is mentioned as the amount of drinking water an individual should consume per day, this does not take factors like age, metabolism, gender and activity levels into consideration.
How to Keep oneself hydrated?
6 great ideas for keeping your hydration levels up:
- Hydration reminder app on your phone: An app like Doulton Filtacheck will help you achieve your hydration goals by reminding you about when to hydrate.
- Sugar Free flavouring or fresh fruits: Infuse sugar-free fruit flavours or fresh fruits like citrus fruits, to make your water taste better. During summers, you can even chill it.
- Make a jug of freshly made iced tea: Use sugar-free recipes to make your iced tea.
- Get a soda maker: If you find plain water boring, get a soda maker. Water with bubbles may excite you. Else, sparkling mineral water is also a great option.
- Eat water-rich fruits and vegetables: Many fruits and vegetables are high in water. Some of the best include berries, oranges, grapes, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, spinach and melons.
- Make a water bottle your permanent companion: Keep it with you during the day and night. This is a constant reminder for you to hydrate yourself.
Additionally, an efficient water filter is a must to ensure that the water you consume is clean and healthy. A Doulton water filter fits the bill perfectly. World’s best water filter, a Doulton is not only economical and efficient, it is an easy to operate water filter as well.